Honestly, the last week is a bit of a blur. I know I did a lot. But details are a bit fuzzy right now. Ok, honestly, with jet lag and all, EVERYTHING is a bit fuzzy right now! Here are a few things I know I did and did not do this week:
- DID- pack up all the essentials in the house.
- DID- learn that “essential” doesn’t mean what I used to think it meant.
- DID- give about 5 full pick-up-truck loads of STUFF to the Salvation Army
- DID- sell my car
- DID- contact all of our utilities, banks, and other folks we typically do business with and canceled services and let them know we were moving
- DID- hand the rats over to a good home
- DID- miss them more than I expected
- DID- hand over and begin missing the cat to a different good home
- DID NOT- learn much German- plenty of time to do that now that we are here!
- DID NOT- find a new home for much of our furniture- anyone wanting bookshelves or kitchen islands or china hutches or folding tables or a washer or dryer should feel free to break into our old house and take them. I can tell you where the key is hidden.
- DID- adjust my expectations to accept that I did not find a home for much of the furniture
- DID- fit all the boxes and the three beds into our 2 liftvans.
- DID- fit the cedar chest from the end of our bed, 1 folding table and 4 folding chairs
- DID NOT- fit any more furniture than that. IKEA will be our friend!
- DID- remember to pack a pair of sandals and a pair of shoes in my luggage
- DID NOT- remember to pack the rest of my shoes for shipping to Germany… whoops!
- DID – Realize and remember just how lucky I am to have the family that I have! I come from amazingly helpful and generous people!
When I get them from my dad, I will post some photos from Moving day. Until then, I will go work on describing the trip here and first impressions